sábado, 15 de junio de 2013

Memories brought back as Beatles record fetches £11,500 at Boldon Auction Galleries

Jackie Marsden, with the signed Beatles album at Boldon Auction Galleries in East Boldon.
 
When a signed Beatles LP, With the Beatles, sold under the hammer at Boldon Auction Galleries this week for £11,500, it reminded Margaret Gordon of the day she had it signed by the Fab Four for her sister, Jackie.
At just 15, Margaret became the envy of all her friends when she won a competition to name an album for the band and got the chance to meet the group at a theatre in Carlisle in 1963.
After spotting an advert in a music newspaper about a competition to come up with a name for an EP and choose six Beatles songs that would appeal to an American audience, Margaret came up with Beatles for Sale.
Margaret, who lives with her husband in Sunderland, said: “I remember being very excited when I received the letter congratulating me and telling me I’d won.
“I remember the date my sister and I went over to Carlisle to meet them. It was November 21, 1963. I remember the date because John F Kennedy was killed the following day.”
She said the band were lovely to her when they met in the dressing room, they signed autographs and records, including the one for her sister which was sold at auction this week, and chatted, as well as having their photographs taken with her.
Margaret remembers Ringo being very shy and George quiet, while John was very confident and Paul was the diplomat.
She said: “It was extremely exciting and memorable and something I will always remember.”
The 65-year-old said when she originally told family and friends her idea for the name of the record, it was met with criticism, but as she couldn’t think of anything else that was what she entered with, but she can’t remember which songs she chose for the album.
She said: “I sent in my entry and met the band, and it was not long after that ‘Beatles for Sale’ was actually released.”
Margaret has kept a box filled with keepsakes from the special night, including the autographs, tickets and photos. She also has scrapbooks filled with press clippings and memorabilia from her time as a member of The Beatles Fan Club.

Source: http://www.sunderlandecho.com


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario